I am a freelance writer with a BA in Communications from the University of Toledo.
Obama's Effect on the Economy
The two most significant economic occurrences of the last 100 years are the stock market crash of 1929 and ensuing Great Depression and the financial collapse of 2008 and the following recession presided over by Barack Obama.
When Obama assumed office in January of 2009, the economy of the United States was in literal freefall. Nearly 800,000 jobs a month were being lost, the housing and auto industries were in steep decline and major financial institutions were in danger of total collapse causing the stock market to plummet as a result. At the time economic experts were comparing the economic state with the conditions that existed preceding the Great Depression.
The situation demanded immediate relief and drastic measures in order to rescue the nation from financial ruin.
Obama went to work on the auto and housing industries. Implementing bold and innovative programs he stabilized both and within a short period of time both were in recovery. By the end of his first term both were showing significant gains with signs of sustained growth. The stock market also recovered from sub 8,000 Dow Jones readings to well over 17,000 by 2014.
Although many debated whether the recovery was as good as the Obama administration declared there was no debate concerning the dire state that the economy was in when he took office and that it significantly improved under his leadership.
Obama's Healthcare Bill and Reforms
One of the first initiatives that Barack Obama undertook when he became president was the creation of a national healthcare system. In the minds of many Americans, this made no sense, but in the mind of Obama, the costs of healthcare were tied together with the inflationary conditions which caused the financial meltdown of 2008. In his reasoning, uninsured Americans were driving up the cost of healthcare by passing on the cost of their care to insured Americans which in turn caused healthcare providers to charge more for their services. To many people, initiating healthcare reform in the middle of a financial crisis was political suicide, but Obama forged through healthcare legislation that insured millions of Americans and eventually drove down healthcare costs while improving healthcare through competition.
Although the initial roll out was rough the program's bugs were worked out and started to show positive results. To his credit, Obama accomplished something that presidents before him dating back to Teddy Roosevelt hadn't achieved and by doing so undoubtedly solidified his place in history.
Obama and Afganistan
One of the campaign promises that Barack Obama made during the presidential campaign of 2008 was to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The wars had been waging for 5 years in Iraq and 7 years in Afghanistan and the American public had grown weary of both. Many Americans, like Obama, felt that the war in Iraq was an unnecessary conflict that was started under false pretenses and that the war in Afghanistan was an unwinnable engagement that was costing lives and billions of dollars. Troop levels were at a historical low requiring the activation of National Guard reserve troops to active duty and multiple tours of duty with some soldiers going back to the war zone up to four and five times. This put a tremendous strain on those serving in the military as well as their families and caused many of them to commit suicide due to the emotional effects of war.
Obama made good on his promise and brought the last combat troops home in 2014. This move brought criticism from both Democrats and Republicans but the move brought dramatic relief to the economy and took thousands of troops out of harm's way and put them back with their families where many thought they belonged.
Terrorism and Osama Bin Laden
After the attacks of September 11, 2001 bringing the person responsible to justice became the number one task of the United States. It was determined by those investigating the incidents that Osama Bin Laden was responsible for the attacks and an immediate search for him concluded that he was most likely hiding out in Afghanistan. Within weeks of the attacks troops were sent to the region to seek him out for capture if possible. The result of that search turned into an ongoing war with the terrorist group Al Qaeda along with other rebel terrorists in the area.
Bin Laden evaded U.S. troops for 10 years until he was killed in a raid by Navy Seals in 2011. The raid, which was authorized by Obama, was a risky venture that required the Seal team to go into Pakistan in order to execute the order. In the confrontation with the Seal team Bin Laden was killed and with his death a major terrorist threat to the world was eliminated.
Reparations of Relationships Under Obama
At the time of President Obama's inauguration the United States' relationships with its allies and other nations was at best strained and at worst broken. Due to its preemptive war against Iraq, which many allies disagreed with, America found itself very much alienated from much of the world nations. In light of this the Obama administration immediately went to work to repair its standing with longtime allies like France and stepping toward building better relationships with nations like China, Russia and Germany. Obama's style of diplomacy rather aggression went a long way in rebuilding ties with the world's nations and enabled the U.S. to restore time-honored alliances that were strong before the terrorist attacks.
No matter how you feel about him one thing is undeniable; Barack Obama was a pivotal character in the history of this country. He came at a time when America was in the throws of several critical issues that could have significantly damaged this country for many years to come and he skillfully navigated those issues without crashing the ship.
At the time of his election America's economic woes were nothing less than desperate bordering on disastrous. It is easy for people to criticize his presidency and try to minimize what he did because we avoided the same fate of the early 20th century. But if we are honest we will place him where he belongs.....up near the top with some of the greatest presidents to serve America.
A person's legacy is what they leave behind and what others will remember them for. What will Barack Obama be remembered for? Rescuing the economy, creating national healthcare, ending two wars and bringing to justice the presumed architect of the worst terrorist attack on American soil.
That doesn't sound like a bad legacy to leave behind.
President Obama's Farewell Speech
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
JON EWALL from usa on April 07, 2017:
Sorry but here is a different side of the story Obama violated the law and Dems did not speak out.
1. 5/31/16 Ryan: Obama ‘circumvented law’ on health insurer payments https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/8324193277563... pbs leak big story
2. 5/5/15 Congress Protects Its Unlawful ObamaCare Subsidies https://twitter.com/CongressmanRuiz/status/8414417... big story 1
http://www.freedomworks.org/content/congress-prote... OPM continues to pay their contribution
3. 11/29/16 Feds cut $167 million in domestic programs to house, feed illegals for just 1 month https://twitter.com/NewsHour/status/84250146448853... big story 2 LAW VIOLATION
4. 6/23/16 Obama immigration plan blocked by 4-4 at Supreme Court
5. 6/23/16 Speaker Ryan on United States v.Texas Decision
6. 1/11/15 Bordering on Lawlessness https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/80233953922... big story scotus http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/11/ed... Obama boasted he can act without Congress CONGRESS MAKES LAWS not POTUS
7. 1/19/17 Top 10 Ways Obama Violated the Constitution during His Presidency https://twitter.com/SenateGOP/status/8294346905662... big story why https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/top-1...
There is much more violations that can be reported. Shameful that Democrats were cowards not to speak.The party is more important than the people or the Constitution or law
Tony Daniels (author) from Toledo, Ohio on March 27, 2017:
President Obama did not violate the Constitution any more than George W. Bush did when he initiated the Patriot Act which violated the rights of every American citizen and still does to this day. Obama was a Constitutional law professor. I think he knows the perimeters of the Constitution better than most. He generated the least amount of Executive Orders of all presidents before him.
JON EWALL from usa on March 27, 2017:
To each his own, amazing .How Obama was able to violate the constitution and the laws of the country.
Dicesi from New York on March 27, 2017:
He was an amazing President and further appreciate him after seeing this wrecking ball in the WH now.
JON EWALL from usa on March 24, 2017:
An intresting view of the past President For your reading pleasure, a somewhat different view.
1. 7/8/16 Bush blamed for economic woes ? https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/751290494265... the story Obama Clinton and Dems will tell a bit different story Really
2. 12/26/16 Hope and Change? Obama’s Legacy at a Crosswards https://twitter.com/NPR/status/832972442532343809 Obama big story #1
3. Obama Campaign Promises 2008 https://twitter.com/jeazman/status/811673307858620... big story 8 yrs
https://hubpages.com/politics/barakobamacampaignpr... TRANSPARENCY D's silent cowards not to speak out IMPEACHMENT for VIOLATIONS !
4. 2007 2008 D’s control 2/3s gov 2009 2010 100%control 2011 2014 D’s 2/3s 2015 2016 D’s 2/3s with D Senate filibuster BO D’s RULE https://twitter.com/DNC/status/835182165214248965 thanks Obama story !
5. *12/23/16 Thank You Mr. President video https://twitter.com/TheDemocrats/status/8014497712... really big story Obama
6. 1/19/17 Top 10 Ways Obama Violated the Constitution during His Presidency https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/top-1...
7. 12/16/16 Obama raising war chest to ‘ fight\ Trump http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/obama-raising-wa... https://twitter.com/jeazman/status/810375613588668...
8. 3/2/17 64 Ways Obama Is Sabotaging Trump https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/845102716728725... big story 1\http://www.wnd.com/2017/03/64-ways-obama-is-sabota... treason or revolution?
Time will tell more about the past President