15 Differences Between Democrats and Republicans
These are just my observations from a lifetime of watching Democratic and Republican politicians.
1. Corporate Power
- Republicans fear that the government has too much control over corporations.
- Democrats fear that corporations have too much control over our government.
2. During Hard Economic Times...
- Democrats believe it benefits all of us to help the weakest and the poorest among us first.
- Republicans believe we must help the wealthiest and most powerful first and hope the wealth trickles down to everyone else.
3. Corporate Responsibility
- Republicans believe large corporations will always do what is best for the American people if the government will just stay out of the way.
- Democrats believe large corporations would gladly disembowel you and sell your organs to the highest bidder if the government wasn't there to stop them.
4. The Right to Decent Health Care
- Democrats believe everyone should be entitled to the health care they need regardless of their ability to pay.
- Republicans believe health care is just another commodity to be bought or sold. If you can't afford it, then hurry up and die.
5. Government Spending
- Democrats believe too much of our money goes to crooked corporate executives who take government subsidies and pay themselves $80 million salaries.
- Republicans believe too much of our money goes to teachers who make $30,000 a year.
- Democrats believe anything that helps the American people during a recession or a time of crisis is the true essence of patriotism.
- Republicans believe anything that helps the American people during a recession or a time of crisis is the true essence of communism.
7. Environmental Protection
- Democrats believe that we need to set high standards for clean air and drinking water.
- Republicans believe that standards for clean air and water are burdensome over-regulation.
8. Economic Recovery
- Democrats believe the President and Congress need to work together to create jobs during a weak economy.
- Republicans believe that Congress should do nothing to create jobs and then blame the Democrats for slow job creation.
9. Corporate Responsibility
- Democrats believe that corporate polluters should be made to pay for the cleanup of their pollution.
- Republicans believe that making corporations clean up their pollution is burdensome over-regulation.
10. Health Care
- Democrats believe our health care system should exist solely for the purpose of making people healthy.
- Republicans believe our health care system should exist solely for the purpose of maximizing profits.
11. Who Should Congress Work For?
- Democrats believe Congress should be of the people, by the people, and for the people.
- Republicans believe corporations are the people.
12. Influence Over Congress
- Democrats worry that corporations have too much influence over Congress due to their lobbyists and huge campaign contributions.
- Republicans worry that the middle class has too much influence over Congress due to their voting and paying taxes.
13. Corporate Abuse
- Democrats believe we need to protect victims of corporate negligence and abuse by allowing Americans to file lawsuits against powerful corporations.
- Republicans believe we need to protect powerful corporations from lawsuits by Americans who have been abused and victimized by those corporations.
- Democrats believe that the rich should be taxed a little more than the poor and middle class.
- Republicans believe that the rich should not be taxed at all as long as they keep giving millions in campaign contributions to politicians.
15. Money and Politics
- Democrats believe that allowing unlimited amounts of money in politics produces corruption and destroys the American way of life.
- Republicans believe that unlimited money and corruption in politics is the American way of life.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.