U.K.-born Paul has worked as a librarian and bookseller since graduating from university. He now works as a freelance writer in Florida.
Religion has both brought mankind together and divided them over the centuries. Generally speaking, religious faith is generally on the decline in Western countries, but growing in other places around the world.
Opinion is divided over the pluses and minuses of religion.
- People who are for religion often portraying it as something that gives humanity meaning and purpose, as well as providing a moral compass for people to navigate by.
- Those who are against religion, however, portray it as an irrational and restrictive force that historically has brought about wars, prejudice, and oppression.
Below are the main pros and cons of religion.
9 Pros of Religion
- Religion brings meaning to people’s lives. Without a sense of meaning, people’s lives can seem empty, causing depression, angst, or anxiety. Human beings need some form of motivating force. As Jesus said: “Man cannot live by bread alone.”
- Religion can bring a sense of hope and inspiration to people, who otherwise might feel despondent, or desperate.
- Many charities are run by religious organizations, providing essential help to some of the most needy people on the planet.
- Religion can provide social coherence, with people sharing common aims, values, and moral systems.
- Holy teachings and books, such as the bible, koran, or Hindu Vedas, contain great wisdom which is beneficial to all mankind and provide useful points of reference.
- Religion has inspired some of the world’s greatest art, architecture, music, writing, and sculpture.
- In a changing world, religion provides a sense of continuity and a reliable foundation stone. Rites and rituals provide comfort and structure for people as they ride the rollercoaster of life.
- Religion can act to curb the worst excesses of man’s instinctive, animal nature.
- Churches, temples, synagogues etc provide places for the community to meet, organize and socialize together.
11 Cons of Religion
- Religion has historically been a source of war on conflict between people ever since people started believing in it. Religious people tend to believe that their particular religion is the only correct one and all the others are false.
- Religion is based on a fallacy that the universe operates according to “supernatural” rules and forces, rather than scientific ones. Stories of miracles and people rising from dead etc. remain unproven.
- Religions can cause or encourage bigotry against minority groups, such as gay people, women, and racial groups.
- Religion discourages free inquiry and restricts freedom of thought, by encouraging the idea that fundamental answers can only be found in a fixed and specific book or belief system. Preachers and religious leaders can also encourage a culture of unquestioning loyalty amongst their followers.
- Religion holds back humanity from progressing. When the Christian Church dominated Western Europe in medieval times, scientific inventions and discoveries almost ground to a standstill and it wasn’t until the arrival of secularism that things began moving again.
- Religion often uses fear to gain itself power, such as threatening people with Hell.
- Some religions discourage people from living their life on Earth to the full, with the promise that they will get another, superior life after they’ve died.
- Religion encourages an unachievable idealism and in the process creates hypocrisy, frustration, and disappointment.
- Unscrupulous leaders use religion to enrich themselves.
- Religion absolves people from personal responsibility, because they can say that God told them to do it.
- Religions are essentially man-made, rather than divinely inspired. People are encouraged to live an illusion, essentially a form of escapism.
10 Facts About Religion
- The word Islam means “submission,” it comes from the Arab word for peace, salaam.
- Hinduism is the oldest organized religion and currently the world’s third largest religion.
- The word "agnostic" was first used by Thomas Henry Huxley in 1860, although the concept of agnosticism is much older.
- James, written around 45 AD, is the oldest book in the Christian New Testament.
- A Buddhist should eat whatever food is presented to him, but never request that an animal be slaughtered for his meal.
- Sikhism is the 5th largest religion in the world, with around 23 million adherents. About 19 million Sikhs live in India, mainly in the state of Punjab.
- Judaism has 613 commandments, with the 10 commandments forming only a part of them.
- Out of all the religions in the world, Christianity has the largest number of followers.
- The word Algebra comes from the Arabic "al-jabr", meaning: "reunion of broken parts" and came from in the Islamic world.
- According to the ancient Indian religion of Jainism, all life has a soul, including bacteria and plants, as well as animals and humans. As they all have souls, they all have the potential to achieve a state of nirvana.
7 Quotes About Religion
- "Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life." Buddha
- "Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich." Napoleon Bonaparte
- "A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." Theodore Roosevelt
- "There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." Dalai Lama
- "When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land." Desmond Tutu
- "The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." Thomas Paine
- "When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." Anais Nin
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
Questions & Answers
Question: I have a debate coming up on religion, and I'm on the pro side. What should my main points be?
Answer: Religion has a positive effect in many ways, including giving individuals a sense of meaning and moral guidance. It helps to structure society, keeping it ordered and stable. It provides ceremonies for life's big events, such as marriage, birth, and death. Religious teachings provide insights into human nature and many of life's mysteries.
© 2014 Paul Goodman
madhav on August 19, 2020:
great, keep up the good work
K on May 18, 2020:
I am pro religion because it encourages peace and kindness. People have used it to destruction in the past (and still are) but that doesn't mean that the basic concept isn't a good thing.
no u on May 06, 2020:
Great for schoolwork! Thanks for posting this :3
Your mom on January 27, 2020:
Thanks. I think religion is a good thing. Plus I have a lot of life problems right now, and none of them are caused by religion.
boat on November 27, 2019:
this is the perfect website defo sending it to my friends
Martin Moskowitz on May 14, 2019:
Fair and balanced. However, it must be emphasized that religion must never be allowed to coerce non adherents who choose a different path for their lives or belief systems.
Jesus on May 08, 2019:
Religion is not cool bro.
mmm on January 15, 2019:
Very good page i have too say
Anonim on October 09, 2018:
I really liked!
Annie Mcfarland on September 09, 2018:
I really really like this is what I’ve been looking for... keep doing what you’re doing thnx
bb on June 03, 2018:
I find that for me, I've only met people who use religion as a way to crush others. They use it as a way to say that they are better than someone else because they are correct, because they know how the world was truly created. I personally don't agree that you need some sort of book to tell you how to live your life. Why should someone need a creator to be a good person? Why do they need an ultimate reward for being a good person, to be successful, and kind? Why should your belief trump anyone else's? Don't you think it is time to stop asking who is right and start wondering what is the right thing to do, what is right to others?
RAe the savagr on April 30, 2018:
thanks it really helped
Child on February 20, 2018:
this sight was great for my report thank you, and all your information!!
Helloooooooooooooooo on February 16, 2018:
That is a great website. Especially for kids that are researching this topic. Thanx!
bhi h on February 11, 2018:
wow wow wow wow wow
Gordon on October 25, 2017:
Women aren't a minority.
ghhvmhtdjht on August 16, 2017:
pooooo on April 21, 2017:
this is a great website hehehehehehe
qfadsga on March 19, 2017:
Very biased cons..
MArty sJ on February 03, 2017:
This is a great article!! Great read! Thank you