Expository critical essays in literary, political, historical, philosophical, and spiritual topics remain part of my literary toolkit.
Behind the Green Door
In David Solway’s essay, "What’s Behind the Green Door?," the poet/political commentator begins by referring to a 1950s era pop song titled "The Green Door." The song dramatizes a speak-easy, a Prohibition era saloon where insiders went to drink and carouse. Of course, the place was not open to the public, and the would-be entrant had to reveal a password. The person desirous of entry, who is singing the song, tries his luck with, "Joe sent me." But this attempt just drew laughs from the revelers behind the green door. Solway jumps to today by cleverly suggesting that the password would be, "Al sent me."
Of course, Solway's metaphor of the green door encompasses all the adherents to the wildly popular junk science called Global Warming, a.k.a. Climate Change, widely popularized by alarmist extraordinaire, Al Gore. Solway elucidates his thesis, which is supported by Czech President Vaclav Klaus, who spoke at the Second International Conference on Climate Change in New York in March 2009, describing those global warming believers:
These are people interested neither in temperature, CO2, competing scientific hypotheses and their testing, nor in freedom or markets. They are interested in their businesses and their profits made with the help of politicians.
Solway then explains how the warming alarmists stand to reap giant profits from government sources as they tout their untested beliefs, while covering them with the veil of science. The poet explains that "green" has become big business:
The perks, awards, government subsidies, academic fellowships, scientific laurels, corporate subventions, endowments and research grants just keep rolling in to keep the party going. And the green door has swung wide open to welcome the climate beneficiaries while it remains shut tight to the uninvited.
Pop Tune: "The Green Door"
The Iconic Polar Bear
Solway then cites the example of the polar bears. Al Gore and his ilk claim that the polar bear is becoming extinct because of warming, but numerous scientists, including biologist Mitchell Taylor, have reported as much as a 25% increase in the polar bear population since 1970. The alarmist environmentalists have relied on only one of the thirteen polar bear populations to make their claim.
According to Taylor, eleven of those populations are stable or increasing, and the one that shrank was caused by competition for food, which indicates that they were over populated. So no poplar bears have been lost because of global warming.
Solway’s Additional Writings on Climate Change
In addition to Solway’s seminal "Green Door" essay, his further writings on the subject continue the expand his argument. For example, his article, "Global Warming: Half Politics, Half Religion," which he has broadened into an even more informative book, Global Warning: The Trials of an Unsettled Science broaches further problematic issues that need to be addressed regarding the issue of climate.
About this valuable book, FrontPage editor and founder, David Horowitz, who pointed out the Nobel Laureate Ivar Gaiever's speech debunking global warming, has opined: "An elegant takedown of the biggest, most costly hoax . . . in modern times."
Solway points out numerous errors including the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, where September temperatures were typed in for October temperatures an obvious mistake that would lead to the wrong conclusion.
Then there is the infamous incident of the National Snow and Ice Data Center at the University of Colorado, as well as the Goddard Institute, whose erroneous claims about the Arctic ice cap had resulted from a faulty satellite sensor that reported a loss of 500,000 square kilometers of ice, when, in fact, later it was discovered that ice had increased by an area the size of Texas.
Perhaps the most egregious misappropriation of climate science has been the "Climategate" fiasco arising out of leaked emails of the Phil Jones, et al, out of the University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit, in which the group of researchers lamented that the data was not supporting their desired findings; they sought as way to "hide the decline" in temperatures.
Despite all of these demonstrably false claims, data shifting, and outright cover-ups, the warming notion keeps claiming adherents. The environmentalists under the banner of a Climatocracy have become the new Marxists, displaying a totalitarian mindset.
Solway quotes Philip Stott, professor emeritus of biogeography at the University of London, who says, "Global warming has become the grand political narrative of the age, replacing Marxism as a dominant force for controlling liberty and human choices."
Poets and Politics
Poet David Solway's first simple fact from his article, "Three Simple Facts that Scuttle the Global Warming Paradigm," states a widely known embarrassment for the warmists/alarmists:
There has been no global warming for the last eighteen years and counting. Warmists like to call this quiescent period of zero net warming a “Pause,” but there is no evidence to suggest a double-digit hiatus in process. The word “Pause” is a palpable evasion intended to maintain an unproven contention. What we do know is that during the years in which apocalyptic claims of imminent catastrophe have been indefatigably circulated, the temperature has remained stable. There is no getting around the thermometer.
Of course, the dedicated warmists even continue in their zeal to explain away the cooling that has begun to take place. Greenpeace’s Gerd Leipold had predicted that by 2030 there would be no ice left on the Arctic, but because of the recent cooling trend, he had to admit that he might have been mistaken. Professor Emeritus Don Easterbrook of Western Washington University has suggested that recent solar changes suggest the advent of a new cooling cycle which could be fairly severe.
But the alarmists continue to ignore the recent decade-long lack of warming, which leads geologist David Gee, who chaired the 2008 International Geological Congress, to question: "For how many years must the planet cool before we begin to understand that the planet is not warming?"
While it may be a truism that politics makes for bad poetry, the fact that poets may become passionate about political issues guarantees the strength of the argument through the poet's ability to analyze those issues. Because of a poet's intimacy with language and presenting accurately his own experience in words, it stands to reason that a poet interested in any issue—political, medical, scientific, or otherwise—will likely be able to explain those issues with aplomb and accuracy.
Such is the case with the poet David Solway. His passionate interest led to his deep understanding of the issue of "global warming," and his writing and analytic ability afford him the facility to explain clearly the problems involved in that hoax.
- David Solway. "What’s Behind The Green Door?" The Pipeline. August 10, 2020.
- - - - . "Green Gore." The Atheist Conservative. Accessed July 30, 2019.
- - - - . "Three Simple Facts that Scuttle the Global Warming Paradigm." PJ Media. May 3, 2015.
- Dov Fischer. "On Climate Junk Science and the Utter Nonsense of Twelve Years to Destruction." The American Spectator. March 23, 2019.
- Angelo Campanella. "Czech President Klaus has the real low-down on GWW-CC." Narkive: Newsgroup Archive: sci.physics. March 15, 2009.
- E. Calvin Beisner. "Václav Klaus: Let's not give up fighting climate alarmism, it is never late!" Cornwall Alliance: For the Stewardship of Creation. December 21, 2017.
- Ivar Giaever. "Nobel Laureate Smashes the Global Warming Hoax." YouTube. Published on Jul 12, 2015.
- Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Ontario. "Control of Clostridium difficile Infection (CDI) Outbreaks in Hospitals." pdf. December 2009.
- Polar Bear Science. "Death of the polar bear as climate change icon validates Mitch Taylor’s skepticism." October 24, 2017.
- Gerd Leipold. "Greenpeace Leader Admits Arctic Ice Exaggeration." The Ann and Phelim Scoop. YouTube. Published on Aug 18, 2009.
- Prof. Don J. Easterbrook. "Global Cooling is Here." November 2, 2008.
- Walter Williams. "How long must Earth cool before warming zealotry does?" Orange County Register. December 28, 2008.
- Carolyn Gramling. "Error in NASA climate data sparks debate." GEOTIMES: Earth, Energy and Environment News. August 2007.
- Steven Goddard. "Arctic ice refuses to melt as ordered." The Register. August 15, 2008.
- Christopher Booker. "Climate change: this is the worst scientific scandal of our generation." The Telegraph. Nov 28, 2009.
- - - - "The fiddling with temperature data is the biggest science scandal ever." The Telegraph. February 7, 2015.
- Judith Curry. "Hiding the Decline." Climate, Etc. February 22, 2011.
- Marc Morano. Quotation by UK Scientist Philip Stott. Climate Depot. July 25, 2011.
The In-depth Story Behind a Climate Fraud
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2019 Linda Sue Grimes