Varsha is an enthusiastic writer who loves to share informative content. She loves to write about political and social issues.
Air pollution has multiple sources, including natural as well as man-made sources. Keep reading to learn more about the different types of air pollution, their effects, and possible ways to control them.
- Air Pollution is an undesirable change in the physical, chemical or biological characteristics of air.
- Air Pollutants are the substances which pollute the air.
Common Air Pollutants
Excess carbon dioxide
Oxides of nitrogen
Sources of Air Pollution
The pollution of air can be caused by natural processes or by human activities.
Natural sources of air pollution include dust storms, forest fires, ash from smoking volcanoes, the decay of organic matters and pollen grains floating in the air.
Population explosion, deforestation, urbanisation and industrialisation are all human causes of air pollution. Their effects can be explained as follows:
- The burning of fuels like wood, cow dung cakes, coal and kerosene in homes pollute the air.
- Exhaust gases emitted by motor vehicles that pollute the air are the major source of pollution in big cities.
- Industries pollute the air by releasing various types of substances such as sulphur dioxide, oxides of carbon, nitrogen oxide, chlorine, asbestos dust and cement dust.
- Thermal power plants pollute the air by emitting sulphur dioxide and fly-ash.
- Nuclear power plants pollute the air by releasing radioactive rays.
- The use of fertilisers and pesticides in agriculture pollute the air.
- Mining activities release particulate matter into the air and pollute it.
- The indiscriminate cutting of trees and clearing of forests increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and thereby pollutes it.
- The use of chlorofluorocarbons in refrigeration, fire extinguishers and aerosol sprayers pollutes the air by depleting the ozone layer.
- Smoking pollutes the air by emitting carbon monoxide and nicotine.
Pollution's Harmful Effects
Air pollution affects the environment around us as well as our own bodies.
- It causes depletion of the ozone layer and allows ultraviolet radiation to reach the earth. This can cause skin cancer and damage to the eyes and immune system.
- It causes acid rain, which damages crop plants, trees, buildings, monuments, statues and metal structures and also makes the soil acidic.
- It causes the greenhouse effect and global warming, which leads to excessive heating of the earth's atmosphere, further leading to weather variability and a rising in sea level. The increased temperature may cause the melting of ice caps and glaciers, resulting in floods.
Human Health Impacts
- Air pollution affects the respiratory system, causing breathing difficulties and diseases such as bronchitis, asthma, lung cancer, tuberculosis and pneumonia.
- It affects the central nervous system, causing carbon monoxide poisoning. CO has more affinity for haemoglobin than oxygen and thus forms a stable compound carboxy haemoglobin (COHb), which is poisonous and causes suffocation and death.
- Pollution of the air from certain metals, pesticides and fungicides causes serious ailments.
- Lead pollution causes anaemia, brain damage, convulsions and death.
- Certain metals cause problems in the kidneys, liver, circulatory system and nervous system.
- Fungicide pollution can cause nerve damage and death.
- Pesticides like DDT (dichloro diphenyl trichloroethane), which are toxic, enter into our food chain and get accumulated in the body. This can cause kidney disorders and problems in the brain and circulatory system.
Control and Prevention
Different techniques are used for controlling air pollution depending on whether it is caused by gaseous pollutants or by particulate pollutants.
Methods of Controlling Gaseous Pollutants
The pollution caused by gaseous pollutants like hydrocarbons, sulphur dioxide, ammonia, carbon monoxide, etc. can be controlled by using three different methods: combustion, absorption and adsorption.
Combustion: This technique is applied when the pollutants are organic gases or vapours. The organic air pollutants are subjected to 'flame combustion or catalytic combustion' when they are converted to a less harmful product, carbon dioxide, and a harmless product, water.
Absorption: In this method, the polluted air containing gaseous pollutants is passed through a scrubber containing a suitable liquid absorbent. The liquid absorbs the harmful gaseous pollutants present in the air.
Adsorption: In this method, the polluted air is passed through porous solid adsorbents kept in suitable containers. The gaseous pollutants are adsorbed at the surface of the porous solid, and clean air passes through.
Methods of Controlling Particulate Emissions
The air pollution caused by particulate matter like dust, soot, ash, etc. can be controlled by using fabric filters, wet scrubbers, electrostatic precipitators and certain mechanical devices.
Mechanical devices work in the following ways:
- Gravity: In this process, the particulates settle down by the action of gravitational force and get removed.
- Sudden change in the direction of airflow: This brings about the separation of particles due to greater momentum.
Fabric filters work by passing the particulate matter through a porous medium made of woven or filled fabrics. The particulates present in the polluted air are filtered and get collected in the fabric filters, while the gases are discharged. The process of controlling air pollution by using fabric filters is called 'bag filtration'.
Wet scrubbers are used to trap SO2, NH3 and metal fumes by passing the fumes through water.
Electrostatic precipitators induce an electric charge on particles when polluted air containing particulate pollutants is passed through them. Then the aerosol particles (such as smoke) are attracted to oppositely charged electrodes, and they get precipitated from the air.
Other Methods of Controlling Air Pollution
- Tall chimneys should be installed in factories.
- Efficiently designed equipment and smokeless fuels should be used in homes and industries.
- Renewable and non-polluting sources of energy like solar energy, wind energy, etc. should be used.
- Automobiles should be properly maintained and adhere to emission control standards.
- More trees should be planted along roadsides and houses.
We Must All Take Responsibility for Protecting Our Air
Air is essential to the wellbeing of the earth, humans and other living beings. We must take responsibility, both collectively and individually, to control the harmful effects of pollution.
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
SALMAN SAYEED on May 28, 2020:
Thanks for information it was very helpfull
Ahmed Ali on April 12, 2020:
I need more information
Robert on April 01, 2020:
I need more info
LAXMI on March 03, 2020:
Tqs for information.
hauwa on February 08, 2020:
Nice one,it help me in various ways
kaaga on January 26, 2020:
its awesome should have ideas and projects to show
Sardar Harinder singh on November 15, 2019:
Tera baap on November 10, 2019:
Thnks for this suggestion
Pk on November 03, 2019:
Thanks sir it is very helpful
Aayushi jha on November 01, 2019:
It's help me out of my problems and it also help me to understand
Jacint siangshai on October 23, 2019:
Thank you so much for help us,,
Aditya sihag on October 22, 2019:
Madhumita Panigrahy on October 21, 2019:
Thanks for the answers
DALAP JAMES NAANKANG on October 10, 2019:
DALAP JAMES NAANKANG is sincerely giving you a vote of thanks for this great post which help me to produce a copy of my assignment. May God bless you more and forever more.
Evang. Kehinde Victor Paul..... on October 06, 2019:
Thanks u very much for your post about pollution, effect and control..... and pray that the lord will empower you ijn....... Amen..
Madhu on October 02, 2019:
Tq so much for help me .
Geneti on July 20, 2019:
thank U for Ur sharing information about environment.
swain on May 31, 2019:
THANK YOU. IT HELPED ME A LOT IN MY CHEMISTRY PROJECT
Saloni on May 15, 2019:
It helped me a lot at my social science project
Emmanuel Boakye on May 09, 2019:
Very Educative information
Wendy Endy on May 05, 2019:
Wonderful information .also inspiring .thanks
on May 03, 2019:
Tqq on March 20, 2019:
Tq for helps me
Adeshewa on February 14, 2019:
Adarsh on January 24, 2019:
Thanks for helps me
kusum on January 14, 2019:
kusum on January 14, 2019:
Kusum on January 14, 2019:
ShuBham SaHu on January 02, 2019:
Thank u so much Dear
Isha Dilliwale on December 16, 2018:
This is very useful information but add pictures related to control measure
Maseera saife on October 29, 2018:
Thanks it helped me in geography activity
Dhanunjay on October 23, 2018:
Thanks it helped me a lot in chemistry project
Feranmi on October 22, 2018:
This is educating and it is also wonderful. kudos to you and more power to your elbow.
Kissi on October 21, 2018:
Thanks for notes
Garima on October 20, 2018:
ruvimbo nyandoro on October 06, 2018:
ayushmsn on September 13, 2018:
thanks i like this
Aaradhya Acharjee on September 08, 2018:
dear writer can u write more about the control of air pollution
pal on August 29, 2018:
1..why there is need to control a air pollution?
2..Combustion causes a air pollution instead we uses a combustion to control a Air pollution. why.... ?
chandana senapati on August 23, 2018:
Shaurya srivastava on June 30, 2018:
Very very nice essay of air pollution
Pramila Agarwal on June 14, 2018:
Thanks because of you I am able to do my work thank you very much
parjapati on May 22, 2018:
Nistha Kafle on May 20, 2018:
AANVI on May 05, 2018:
Tanmoy paul on April 23, 2018:
Thanks help for my project
wow u are on point on March 15, 2018:
plliiiiiz add more
Dilshad khan on February 21, 2018:
This article helped everyone to make project or assignment. Nobody is thinking about to save the nature from pollution.we should follow tips given to control pollution.
Think before it Delays.
Ravina Shrirao on February 19, 2018:
It is very easy for doing school project work
Mrudulesh on February 19, 2018:
very nice assay isn't it
Ravi Singh on February 17, 2018:
Thanks for doing my assignment
SatyomSingh on February 09, 2018:
It is very helpful for me thanks
Vidya on January 31, 2018:
It's really very helpful for my assignment . Thanks a lot.
Hasrat on January 28, 2018:
Thankyou so much it will help to making my project and assignments,
Amala on January 13, 2018:
Thank for your service in my assignment
empty on January 13, 2018:
thanks for giving this information
Nitish Dubey on January 09, 2018:
Shaktimayee on January 06, 2018:
Thanks it's very helpful for environment
MAYANK on January 05, 2018:
it helps in doing my assignment.
saachi on January 01, 2018:
it helps me in doing my notes of holiday homework
Alia on December 30, 2017:
Thanks you it helped in my project
Prakruthi on December 20, 2017:
Very nice it help's in my seminar
Arthur Russ from England on December 14, 2017:
Very informative information, and quite relevant to my interest in Renewable Energy Technologies; thanks for sharing.
Anita on December 10, 2017:
Very good n sufficient information thank u
Arun on December 01, 2017:
Yashvi on November 20, 2017:
firstname.lastname@example.org on November 14, 2017:
Cristiano Ronaldo on November 13, 2017:
Dolly Rajput on November 10, 2017:
Aakriti Neupane on October 31, 2017:
Thank you very much.It helps me a lot.
Sh........... on August 20, 2017:
Varsha (author) from India on June 24, 2017:
Thankyou for the kind words. Happy to help.
Bieber on June 22, 2017:
Helpful in gaining knowledge.
unknown on June 04, 2017:
there is a difference between prevention and control
Mejones on March 30, 2017:
Very helpful indeed.
Spencer on March 30, 2017:
Add Your message.
on March 11, 2017:
Oh it's very cool versha
Sanjay on March 06, 2017:
i on February 13, 2017:
Amar babu on February 01, 2017:
Amar babu on January 31, 2017:
salman tipu on January 21, 2017:
Thanks a lot. Its really very helpful for us.
Emily on January 17, 2017:
Its awesome. Upto point and straightforward.
sai teja Jumbidi on January 14, 2017:
Very good information
Manada on January 10, 2017:
Tarun jaitaka on January 08, 2017:
Thanks your information
Seemant Panwar on January 07, 2017:
Awesome i get good knowledge nfrom this
Aaru on January 05, 2017:
kasi on January 04, 2017:
Nihma nazar on January 04, 2017:
Thank u for giving this information
yadav boys on January 01, 2017:
pranavaraaj on December 28, 2016:
need a little more info and about green house effect
Bhavna on December 26, 2016:
This information helped me a lot.
lisa on December 19, 2016:
nice helped alot
qadar roma on December 12, 2016:
thanks really it i liked and easilly my assignment
Kisan Rajak on December 08, 2016:
JOSEPH ORIM on December 07, 2016:
It was wonderful to have sourced this article. Bravo!
Babu on December 02, 2016:
I need to get this information....thank u
Robokant Rajesh on November 24, 2016:
sanjana on November 20, 2016:
Its useful for me thank u soapboxie