How to Vote in Georgia (The Easy Way)
1. Register Online
Go to the state of Georgia's "My Voter" page to register online. The minimum requirements to register are:
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be a legal resident of the county you are registering under.
- Be at least 17.5 years old at the time of registration and 18 years old when ready to vote.
- Not serving time for a felony of "moral turpitude," as the website states.
- Not found mentally incompetent by a judge.
Information needed for registration:
- Valid driver's license or state ID issued by Georgia's Department of Driver's Services (GA DDS)
- Legal first and last name
- Residence and/or mailing address
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Gender and race/ethnicity
- Last four digits of social security number
At the end of the form you will sign an oath to affirm that your registration information is correct. You should receive approval of your registration within two to four weeks, and an email with your precinct card. You cannot vote until you have been approved.
Your precinct card will tell you where your polling place is and what your voting districts are. You DO NOT need the precinct card to vote.
2. Know the Dates, Deadlines and Details
The last day a person can register and be eligible to vote in the state of Georgia for the General Election in November is Tuesday, October 11, 2016.
Log into your account (created when you registered) on Georgia My Voter Page to view important dates, deadlines and upcoming elections. To log in, enter the first letter of your legal first name, full last name, county and birthdate.
With your account you can access:
- Your voter information
- Polling place and travel directions
- Absentee ballot application and information
- Your elected officials
- Precinct card
- Sample ballots (what your ballot will look like on voting day)
3. Have a Photo ID
- Use your Georgia My Voter Page account to update your voter information (name, address, phone number, etc.).
- Contact your county's registrar if you have any problems or questions.
- You can also register and change your voter information via mail. Print out the application from Georgia My Voter Page.
- You cannot vote in the state of Georgia if you miss the registration deadline or do not have a valid state or federal issued photo ID. Georgia does not allow same-day registration.
© 2016 Tara Marashi
More by this Author
Kaepernick is willing to face the backlash of his protest because he understands that freedom is a two-way street. He also understands that this street in the United States is full of potholes...
No comments yet.