I am a bibliophile who loves to read about new concepts and ideas. The next step almost always involves testing them out in real life.
A 100% Tried-And-Tested Online Process
If you think the only way to apply for a Voter ID in India is by physically going to Akshaya Centers or Election Offices, I have some good news for you. Any Indian citizen can conveniently apply for a Voter ID online in the comfort of their home in India. Avoid multiple trips to Akshaya Centers or dealing with unfriendly officials. You can complete the registration online in a matter of minutes.
I was living abroad for many years, and it is only now that I got a chance to register for a Voter ID in India. Since COVID-19 was at its peak, I did not wish to visit the Akshaya Centers directly and wanted to try out a safer method. That's when I came across the revamped Voter ID portal by the Election Commission of India (ECI). The portal is extremely user-friendly, easy on the eye, with a good user interface. It provides a personal digital (AI) assistant that offers help every step of the way.
Apart from new voter registration, the Voter ID Portal can also be used for:
- Correction in Voter ID
- Migration to a different assembly constituency
- Replacement of Voter ID
- Deletion of Voter ID
- Lodge a complaint
- Track application status
- Track complaint status
- Search for your name in the electoral roll using your Voter ID
- Get answers to frequently asked questions like overseas (NR) Voter ID registration
This page will focus on a brand new Voter ID application process.
Who Is Eligible for Voter ID in India?
You are eligible for a Voter ID if you are:
- 18+ years old
- An Indian citizen with a permanent address
The following information needs to be uploaded in the Voter Portal for fresh registrations:
- The Voter ID (EPIC Number) of a family member or a neighbor
- Passport-sized photograph
- Identity proof
- Address proof
- The Form 6 Age Declaration Form duly filled and signed. The Voter Portal provides a provision to download this form at the time of registration.
Read More From Soapboxie
It is recommended to keep the documents and details ready to complete the registration process quickly. After I went through the form, I realized that a neighbor's or relative's EPIC number is required, so sourcing those details took some time. You can avoid this by keeping it ready beforehand.
Disclaimer: The information needed might change over time. I applied for my Voter ID in 2021 and this was the information required at the time.
Steps to Apply for a New Voter ID
- Go to the Voter ID Portal (https://voterportal.eci.gov.in/). Most people online recommend the NSVP Portal, but that is an indirect way to access the ECI Voter Portal.
- Create an account.
- Log in to your account.
- Click on "New Voter Registration."
- A personal digital assistant pops up, offering help and instructions along the way. Follow the steps as instructed.
- Upload the information and documents kept ready.
- Once you have successfully submitted the form, a reference number is generated and provided. You can use this number to track your application status in the Voter ID portal.
- A Booth Level Officer (BLO) will be assigned to you. They will contact you personally to gather more information and conduct field verification.
- After the BLO does the verification, your application will be accepted or rejected.
- Finally, your EPIC number will be generated on successful verification. You will receive an SMS regarding the same.
- Once EPIC is generated, you can get an online copy of your Voter ID on the NSVP portal (https://www.nvsp.in/). Click on the "e-EPIC Download" option.
- The Voter ID card will be physically delivered to you as well.
- If you do not get your Voter ID Card delivered to your address within 2 months of EPIC generation, contact the BLO. A quick Google search can be done online to obtain your BLO's contact details.
How Much Time Does It Take To Get the Voter ID?
It took me around 6-7 months to finally receive the EPIC number.
It is a prolonged process, so I recommend registering as early as possible instead of waiting until the next election. The delay in my case might also have been due to COVID-19 related issues. You might get the card much earlier.
Note that I did not enquire about my Voter ID even once during this time. I was not in a hurry to get my Voter ID as there was no immediate requirement. Another reason why you should apply as early as possible – it reduces stress.
Here's a timeline:
- I applied for a Voter ID in March 2021.
- BLO was appointed in May 2021. My application was stuck at this point for a long time.
- Another BLO was appointed in October 2021. This change was done automatically. I did not personally contact anyone.
- Field Verified by BLO in October 2021.
- The application was accepted on October 2021, five days later.
- EPIC generated within a week.
Applying for a Voter ID online in India is a hassle-free process. I feel proud that India is becoming fully digitized and anyone can complete the most tedious tasks efficiently online. If you do not wish to visit any Akshaya Centers or State Election Offices, give the online Voter ID application a try.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2022 Kalpana Iyer